So-called "blood libels" fueled anti-Jewish violence centuries ago. Today, in the 21st century, these libels are directed against Christians.
The New York Post uncovers "the biggest fake news in Canada"
Last Friday, the American newspaper New York Post published this news: "‘Biggest fake news story in Canada’: Kamloops mass grave debunked by academics". In it, journalist Dana Kennedy explains: "One year ago today, the leaders of the British Columbia First Nation Band Tk’emlúps te Secwépemc announced the discovery of a mass grave of more than 200 Indigenous children detected at a residential school in British Columbia."
That band called the discovery "Le Esccwicwéy̓" (the disappeared). "What’s still missing, however, according to a number of Canadian academics, is proof of the remains in the ground," the New York Post notes. "Since last year’s announcement, there have been no excavations at Kamloops nor any dates set for any such work to commence. Nothing has been taken out of the ground so far, according to a Tk’emlúps te Secwépemc spokesman."
"Not one body has been found"
And then what about all the supposedly buried children that some media claimed were under those schools? The New York Post states: "The alleged burial ground, which is said to include 215 bodies — some as young as 3 years old — was located with the help of ground-penetrating radar at the site of the former Kamloops Indian Residential School, which was run by the Roman Catholic Church from 1890 to 1978. The number of bodies was based on irregularities in the ground ascertained by the radar waves, according to an anthropologist hired by the band to scan the site."
A dozen academics have disputed the alleged revelations. "Not one body has been found," according to Jacques Rouillard, professor emeritus in the Department of History at the University of Montreal. "After …months of recrimination and denunciation, where are the remains of the children buried at the Kamloops Indian Residential School?", he added.
Una docena de académicos han puesto en duda las supuestas revelaciones. "No se ha encontrado ningún cuerpo", dijo Jacques Rouillard, profesor emérito en el Departamento de Historia de la Universidad de Montreal. "Después de... meses de recriminaciones y denuncias, ¿dónde están los restos de los niños enterrados en la Escuela Residencial Indígena de Kamloops?", añadió.
A year later, the promoters of the hoax still do not publish their report
The Tk’emlúps te Secwépemc gang confirmed to the New York Post that no bodies have yet been exhumed from the Kamloops school and no dates have even been set for excavations to begin. It also added that the ground-penetrating radar report on which those claims were based has not yet been released, but may be at some point in the future. This is a report that has served to accuse Canada, and in particular the Catholic Church, of committing "genocide", but almost a year after the alleged discovery of bodies, the promoters of the investigation have not even published that report.
The New York Post explains the origin of that hoax: "On May 17, 2021, the band hired Sarah Beaulieu, a young anthropologist from the University of the Fraser Valley, to scan and survey the site. Beaulieu scanned the site between May 21 and May 23 and the band announced her shocking findings on May 27. Beaulieu said that remote sensors picked up “anomalies” and what are called “reflections” that indicate the remains of children may be buried at the site." The newspaper has noted that Beaulieu has not responded to emails sent to him. The New York Post adds that Beaulieu filed "a report on her work in July 2021 that did not include specific evidence."
The same system was used to claim that there were 800 more graves at other sites
Following the Kamloops discovery, other researchers using the same ground-penetrating radar system have claimed to find unmarked suspected graves of an additional 800 residential school children in British Columbia and Saskatchewan. However, Tom Flanagan, emeritus professor of political science at the University of Calgary, has denounced: "This is the biggest fake news story in Canadian history," Flanagan told The Post. "All this about unmarked graves and missing children triggered a moral panic. They have come to believe things for which there is no evidence and it’s taken on a life of its own."
The wave of anti-Christian and anti-Canadian hate and violence that unleashed the hoax
Already in February 2022, The Trumpet newspaper spoke of the "Canada genocide hoax", recalling the consequences of that false news: "Statues of John A. Macdonald (Canada’s first prime minister), Queen Victoria and Queen Elizabeth II were torn down. Some statues were even beheaded. Dozens of Catholic schools were destroyed by arson; so were churches of various denominations. The Canadian flag was run at half-mast for months. Canada Day was canceled and the nation accused of cultural genocide and erasure. The United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights even said Canada was guilty of “a large-scale human rights violation.”"
The complicity of the main Canadian media and the role of the Trudeau government
The Trumpet also asked: "Why was Canada’s mainstream media suppressing the most important facts while broadcasting a message of shame, outrage and national humiliation? It’s because they, in alliance with and funded by Justin Trudeau’s Liberal government, have an agenda to fundamentally transform Canada." The Trumpet recalled that in a 2015 New York Times interview, Justin Trudeau said: "There is no core identity, no mainstream in Canada", and stated that, consequently, that makes Canada "the first postnational state."
The Trumpet added: "Trudeau’s vision is to remove the last vestiges of its identity as a British Commonwealth member. He led the way in declaring Canada as a systemically racist, colonial nation last summer. Canada’s media ran with this message despite lacking evidence to support these claims. Any dissent was silenced as racist and another sign of why Canada needed to be fundamentally changed. This message of shame and humiliation to Canadians, despite the essence of the story being a lie, accelerated the media success of cementing control over Canadians." A control that has a political purpose: "This media control is being used to push a radical-left agenda."
The Spanish media that spread the hoax are now silent
Canada is not a unique case in the media field. In Spain, many media spread the hoax of the graves, but very few have revealed the lie. In fact, it has been religious information media that have reported. The Catholic newspaper Infovaticana already advanced it in January and today it has returned to give news about it. An Infocatólica blog also published the information in January. Likewise, Religión en Libertad revealed the hoax in April, and a few weeks ago he spoke about it again before the next visit of Pope Francis to Canada, pointing out "the burning of 60 churches for a hoax of genocide."
However, the big Spanish media that spread the hoax have hidden the truth about it. One of the media outlets that most helped to spread this false news in Spain, the socialist newspaper El País, known for its militant anti-Catholicism, has not published even a brief news about the denial of the hoax. The so-called "fact-checkers", most of them from the left and who censor uncomfortable news on Facebook, have not issued a single report on the hoax. It is the old Goebbelian technique of "lie, something remains" fueling once again hatred and violence against Christians.
Don't miss the news and content that interest you. Receive the free daily newsletter in your email:
The mail subscription service to Counting Stars will allow you to receive in your mailbox a daily email with the new posts published in this blog. It is a free service. Once you have entered your email in this box and press the "Click to subscribe" black button, you will receive a confirmation email in your mailbox to activate your subscription. If at any time you want to unsubscribe, you only just have to click the link that you will find at the bottom of each newsletter.